Our departments run a number of extra curricular clubs. Please find a list of what our departments offer here:
The Art and Photography Department runs the following after school clubs:
- GCSE Art and Photography (Monday and Tuesday – 3.15-4pm)
- Art Club for Yrs 7, 8, 9 (Wednesday – 3.15-4pm)
- Manga Club (Thursday – 3.15-4pm)
‘Off The Fence’ runs the following break time clubs:
- Year 7 Boys – Wednesdays at 10.40am
- Year 8 Boys – Wednesdays at 11.10am
- Year 9 Boys – Wednesdays at 1.30pm
- Year 7 Girls – Thursdays at 10.40am
- Year 8 Girls – Thursdays at 11.10am
These break time clubs, run by ‘Off The Fence’, offer students the opportunity to participate in games and quizzes and have fun. There are different clubs for Year 7, Year 8 and Year 9 all of which are called “The Hub”
The Drama Department runs the following after school club:
- Drama Club – Years 7 and 8 (Mondays 3-4pm)
We also offer master classes with professionals from the industry for Year 9s. All students have the opportunity to audition for the annual production, which has been performed at outside theatres, such as the Sallis Benney and The Old Market. Students of all ages have enjoyed seeing productions of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’, ‘Earthquakes in London’, ‘Stomp’ and ‘War Horse’ at local and London theatres. A fantastic theatre company called Theatre Centre bring their exciting productions into Cardinal Newman annually for the Year 11 GCSE drama groups to experience.
Productions in recent years have included Oliver, Little Shop of Horrors, The Tempest at the BOAT theatre and Grease. The musical for 2017 is Billy Elliot.
The English Department runs the following after school club:
- Journalism Club on Tuesdays, 3-4pm in MF4.
Find out more here: Journalism Club
The Library runs the following break time club:
- Book Club on the first Friday of the month, 1.30-2.05pm in the library.
The French Department runs the following after school club:
- French Club – Years 7 and 8 (Wednesday Week B, 3-4pm in CS15)
This club is designed to help students develop their knowledge of the French language, culture, food and traditions. Activities will include games, quizzes, videos, songs, discussions and food tasting.
The Music Department runs the following clubs:
- Chamber Choir – Mondays 10.50 – 11.30am in CB9
- Express GCSE Music – Mondays 3.00 – 5.00pm in CF12
- String Orchestra – Tuesdays 10.50 – 11.30am in CG12
- Woodwind Ensemble – Tuesdays 1.30 – 2.05pm in CG12
- Arts Award – Tuesdays 3.00 – 4.00pm
- Newman Voices – Wednesdays 10.50 – 11.30am in CG12
- Music Tech Club – Wednesdays 3.15 – 4.00pm in CG12
- Funk Band – Thursdays 10.50 – 11.30am in CG12
- Samba Band – Thursdays 1.30 – 2.05pm in CG12
- Ukulele Club (Yr 7-9) – Fridays 10.40 – 11.10am in CG12
- Ukulele Club (Yr 10-11) – Fridays 11.10 – 11.40am in CG12
- Brass Group – Fridays 1.30 – 2.05pm in CG12
- Stage Band – Fridays 3.00 – 4.00pm
All students who are members of our extra-curricular ensembles will be invited to perform at selected events throughout the year. Each year we also have additional events, for example, Newman Voices is performing in the Brighton Festival in 2017. Students who are a member of an extra-curricular ensemble are also invited to join our annual Music Tour.
We also run a number of Annual Events:
- Glyndebourne Trip – October
- Advent Carol Service – December
- Newman Music Night – January
- School Production – February
- Spring Concert – March
- Jazz and Pop – April
- Children’s Parade – May
- Summer Concert – June
- Music Tour – July
The PE Department runs the following after school clubs:
Sports clubs take place after school every day from 3.00 – 5.00p.m. and are open to all students. This year they include gymnastics, netball, boys’ and girls’ football, basketball, badminton, athletics and cricket. We also have a well established dance performance group which performs at the dome every year.
We run the following after school club:
- Homework club – all years (Tuesday and Thursday, 3pm – 4pm in LS1)
It is for anyone needing help with any homework and is run by Mr Bates.